Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tell Me What's Really Goin' On - Part Two

After spending the day with the fine staff at FCI Gilmer (FCI is Federal Correctional Institution...for those of you not in the industry), I decided to embark on an observation mission. 

First, I picked up The Exponent Telegram, which is a local newspaper out of Clarksburg.  The headline from the Associated Press read, "US Coal Use On Fast Decline."  Being replaced of course by natural gas.  During the day, the locals had told me how natural gas drilling was slowly replacing coal mining in the area. This, unlike affordable natural gas, fueled my two hour exploration throughout Gilmer and Braxton Counties (see map.)  I did not see any active drilling sites, but still the signs were everywhere.

All sorts of energy companies have set up field offices and operations throughout the region.  EQT and XTO Energy are visible everywhere.  Work trucks from several contracting companies are parked in many, many driveways.  I did pass a compression station near the side of an old country road.  Still, I have to say that if drilling be goin on in them there hills, the trees, mountains and deer of West Virginia do not seem bothered; the state is as beautiful as ever. 

I also have to note this: Everywhere I spotted a new well head, I also observed a new home.  Coincidence perhaps?  I am not educated enough to say.  In fact, I cannot say with certainty that the new well heads were even Marcellus related.  As I stated earlier, this was merely an observation mission.

Tomorrow I will talk with local business owners about the impact of drilling and whether or not that has lead to increased spending.  All this after I complete day two of reentry related training at FCI Gilmer...of course.  More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment